Editors Note: I have scoured the internet gathering up some great articles on some Cool Tie Dye Designs. Although, these are written instructions, I will be posting some of my personal video tutorials very soon. But for now, I hope these articles by various authors at Ezine Articles, should give you some insight to what the art of tie dye is all about. And how you can achieve some amazing results, and most importantly just have fun! after all that's what tie dye is all about, getting together with family & friends and throwing down a fun filled Tie Dye Party creating unique works of art.
How to Make a Tie-Dye Shirt in 12 Simple Steps
By Mathew Dunn
Have you ever wondered how to make tie-dye shirt? Here is how with this easy to follow step by step guide. You'll be styling your very own homemade shirt before you know it! You will need the following materials;
o 2 or 3 different color dyes
o Squeeze bottle
o White T-shirt
o Soda ash
o Rubber bands
o Optional: tie-dye kit(should include everything)
1. Get out your bottle to mix the dye. A mustard or mayonnaise bottle would be perfect for the job. Pour the dye concentrate into the bottle and add water. Shake it really well and let it sit. Note: some dye may already come in a bottle and no mixing will be required.
2. Now, get out your white T-shirt and soak it in water. Be sure to wring it out really good, you want it to be damp not dripping. Lay it out across a flat surface and place your finger in the middle of your shirt. This is going to be the center of your spiral.
3. Keep your finger in the center and begin to twist the shirt around your finger. Make sure that the shirt stays flat on the surface. Continue twisting the shirt until it is all wound up. It should be about three to five inches tall.
4. Now you're going to wrap up your wadded T-shirt with some rubber bands, about three or four should do it. (Make sure you space them out evenly).
5. Go to the kitchen sink, plug the bottom and fill it up with water. Add a decent amount of soda ash to the water. Stir the water for a few minutes and allow the soda ash to mix.
6. Place the shirt in the sink and Leave it submerged in the soda ash solution for about twenty minutes to a half hour. Go find something awesome to do and come back later.
7. When the time is up go back to the kitchen and remove the shirt. Give it a real good twist to squeeze out all of the water. Be sure not to rinse it out.
8. Now, go back to your flat surface and lay down some type of plastic. This is the messy part. In my experience a trash bag works pretty well. Get out your bottles full of dye and start applying it to your shirt. You don't want any white to show so color in the whole thing. Don't forget about mixing colors to your desire!
9. Find another trash bag and cover your shirt up for the next 24 hours.
10. After a full day the colors will have stained the shirt. Run the shirt under warm water until the water is clear and all of the excess dye has been rinsed out.
11. Now it is time to remove the rubber bands holding your shirt together and marvel at the masterpiece you have created!
12. Once you've rinsed it thoroughly by hand. Place the shirt and only the shirt in the washer for twenty minutes with warm water. After that throw it in the dryer and you now have one awesome shirt that is your own work of art! Now you know how to make a tie-dye shirt and can share this fun with anyone.
Life is what you make it, stay positive and moving forward.
Peace & Love,
Article Source: How to Make a Tie-Dye Shirt in 12 Simple Steps
Now go and create some of your very own unique and Cool Tie Dye Designs